Okay, so, without dwelling on everything that has happened in my life since the beginning of 2011, let’s just say I’ve had a lot of stuff going on. As a result, I haven’t been able to write hardly anything. Of course, not having the time to write doesn’t necessarily mean there’s been a lack of interesting ideas. There’s no way at this point, though, that I could possibly catch up on everything that’s crossed my mind in individual posts for each topic. Therefore, it’s time to play the lightning round and get myself caught up as quickly as I possibly can.
Ready? Here we go…
1) I love Albert Pujols, and he may even be worth the kind of money he’s allegedly demanding. But I don’t think any professional athlete in any sport should be given a 10-year deal. The window for top performance is so short, and one major injury can curtail a whole career. Plus, Pujols has been playing hurt the past two seasons already. Also, if Albert is such an upstanding Christian guy (and I actually believe he is), why did he create such a circus when he didn’t have to?
2) Either this whole Charlie Sheen thing is an elaborate hoax or we’re witnessing the most public meltdown I’ve ever seen. Either way, it’s not funny to me anymore. I’ve seen too many effects of being people strung out of alcohol, meth, and God knows what else to get any enjoyment out of Sheen’s current predicament.
3) An NFL work stoppage? Are you kidding me? This is the greatest news I’ve heard in a long time. I don’t hate the game of football, but I hate the way it’s taken over sports media coverage in this country. Plus, I think the only reason football’s so popular is because people only have to keep up with one game a week. I’m in basketball heaven right now trying to keep up with eight games at the same time. Don’t hurry back, fellas; I ain’t missin’ ya.
4) I’m starting to feel like I’ve been pigeonholed in everything from my talents to my personality to even my future. I feel like I’m capable of so much more than people give me credit for. Now if I could just get someone to give me a chance…
5) Ethical dilemma: If someone gives you a copy of a CD, is that any worse than you finding a way to download that CD off the Internet without paying for it?
6) I remember a few years ago, comic book movies had sort of reach their saturation point, and we started getting some really awful and obscure titles being made into feature films (“Bulletproof Monk” anyone?). I’m afraid we’re reaching that point again. I think “Thor” and “Captain America” show some potential, but the “Green Lantern” trailer looks horrible. And who thought it would be a great idea to reboot “Spider-Man” so soon after the other three movies came out? Maybe “The Dark Knight Rises” can save us all…
7) I am not enjoying my job very much at the moment.
8) I was truly overwhelmed by the number of people who showed up for the visitation and funeral for my dad. As a result, I’ve been almost obsessive over making as many visitations as I possibly can. My wife and I actually did two in one night recently. It’s like anyone with even a remote connection is qualifying on my list. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is kind of overkill. Or maybe not. Maybe I’m just starting to see things outside of my own little world finally.
Okay, that’s all I can think of tonight. I’m sure I’ll come up with about a thousand more once I log off. Hopefully, I’ll be able to take ’em as they come to me.